Software Engineer for AI Tools 80 – 100 %
School of Engineering
January 2024 or by agreement
- We offer a software engineer position at the ZHAW Centre for Artificial Intelligence, as part of our international and interdisciplinary research team on Natural Language Processing (NLP).
- You develop high-quality software components needed for scientifc projects, which contains both frontend and backend.
- Upcoming projects are 1. An EU project on detecting multimodal misinformation campaigns on the internet, and 2. An applied project on building AI-driven language-learning tools for schools.
- You will integrate the AI components into the tools, and support the experiments which are carried out with them.
- You occasionally support lecturers in teaching (e.g. labs or exercises).
Knowledge and Experience:
- Deep experience as a Full-Stack Developer with a strong interest and/or experience in Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Data Science, and experimental approaches.
- Practical experience with common frontend frameworks such as Vue, React, Angular, etc.
- Good sense for UX and design.
- Solid computer science knowledge, including an understanding of design patterns.
- Extensive knowledge in API design, OpenAPI, and Docker (both with and without Compose).
- Proficient in Linux, CI/CD systems (e.g., Github Actions), and front proxies.
- Experience with Let's Encrypt, Certbot, WebSockets, and Reactive Programming.
- Knowledge of Java or other object-oriented, statically typed languages; experience with frameworks like Spring Boot is a plus.
- Comfortable with test frameworks such as JUnit.
- Experience with database systems, preferably PostgreSQL.
- A plus: Knowledge in Unity, WebGL, and Azure AI Services.
- Enjoyment of independent work and initiative.
- Open and direct communication.
- A pragmatic approach to work.
- Perseverance and solution orientation.
- A team player who speaks up when encountering problems and interacts constructively within the team.
This is what we stand for
Zurich University of Applied Sciences ZHAW is one of Switzerland's largest multidisciplinary universities of applied sciences, with over 14'000 students and 3'400 faculty and staff.
The School of Engineering (SoE), as one of the leading educational and research institutions in Switzerland, focuses on topics relevant to the future. 14 institutes and centres guarantee high-quality education, research and development with a focus on the areas of energy, mobility, information and health.
The Centre for Artificial Intelligence (CAI) maintains a growing number of research groups in the fields of Natural Language Processing and Computer Vision, Perception and Cognition Autonomous Learning Systems Trustworthy AI and AI Engineering The CAI conducts method-oriented applied research and development at the highest level in the field of machine learning and is committed to a human-centered approach to artificial intelligence, thereby actively shaping the ethical dimension.
We are looking for a deeply interested, technically skilled personality. We value potential over already mastered skills, encouraging also unconventional CVs, e.g., an academic background from an applied sciences institution ("Fachhochschule"), or interdisciplinary experience. Please honor us with a tailored cover letter and highlight facts that underline your ability to achieve high. We are looking forward to hearing from you!
What you can expect
We offer working conditions and terms of employment commensurate with higher education institutions and actively promote personal development for staff in leadership and non-leadership positions. A detailed description of advantages and benefits can be found at Working at the ZHAW. The main points are listed below:
Prof. Dr. Mark Cieliebak
Head of Natural Language Processing (NLP) Research Group